Point of the Mountain Chamber of Commerce
Ribbon Cuttings & Grand Openings
Why should you have a Ribbon Cutting?
- Creating an outstanding first impression is very important for any business; as they say, “your first impression is the lasting impression.” A Grand Opening held with a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony can be your ticket to a successful launch and a positive lasting impression for your new employees and potential guests alike. This promotional event should be a vital component of the advertising and marketing strategies for any new business. It is also an important step forward in developing a PR campaign for your business as you will be in direct communication with the public to help shape your image in their eyes.
- The ribbon cutting ceremony is symbolic of a new beginning. It is an opportunity to show genuine appreciation for the people who have shared in your vision and have spent countless hours in helping to make it a reality. It is the perfect opportunity to publicly express your gratitude and explain your vision and excitement for the future.
- A valuable side benefit of a Grand Opening Ceremony is the opportunity to network and connect with people from your community, providing you with a platform to generate potential leads to boost the sales of your company.
How should you prepare?
- In the weeks leading up to your Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting, it is important to invite important influencers that surround you. Family, friends, colleagues, etc.
- Gather and prepare your thoughts accordingly. You'll have a captive audience listening to you, you'll want to share your vision clearly and professionally.
- Prepare an agenda.
- Leave a lasting impression. "Take-away" items are an excellent way to keep your vision alive and wherever possible should be built into your marketing strategy. Novelty items such as t-shirts, lip balm, Frisbee's etc. with your logo are a great way to get the word out.
- Serving refreshments/food is another great way to show your appreciation and keep potential customers at your new place of business a little longer.
- Offer drawings as another way to show your appreciation. This also has a side benefit, it is a good way to capture contact info for your marketing campaign.
Who may request a Ribbon Cutting?
- Ribbon Cuttings are an exclusive member benefit. Many businesses join the chamber for this very reason.
How much does it cost?
- The Point of the Mountain Chamber of Commerce does not charge a fee to hold a Ribbon Cutting ceremony. It is included with your membership.
The Chamber will:
- Provide the giant ceremonial scissors
- Provide the ribbon
- Contact the city/cities and extend invitations to attend. City officials such as the mayor(s) will be invited
- Promote and post photos of the event on social media such as Facebook and Twitter
- Promote the event in the weekly emailed newsletter to all chamber members
- Invite the Board and Ambassadors of the chamber to attend (attendance varies based on schedules)
- Provide your logo to Costco so they can make a customized sheet cake for the day of your Ribbon Cutting
A Sample Agenda might look like:
- Welcome Guests and acknowledge dignitaries such as elected officials and the chamber
- Thank Costco for donating the cake
- Share information about your business such as a brief history and your vision moving forward
- Congratulatory remakes by the mayor and/or the chamber president
- Cut the ribbon
- Provide tours, refreshments/food, drawings, novelty items, etc.